Find out Why Starbucks Stock Is Halal Or Not

Find Out If Starbucks Stock Is Halal Or Not

If you’re considering investing in Starbucks (SBUX) but you are not sure if it is halal to invest in this stock. You can find out the Shariah compliance status of Starbucks by reading this article!

Around 20 research reports about Starbucks (SBUX) have been written in the past few months, representing strong analyst interest in this stock. While some investors may want to sell the stock checking Starbucks’ full-year FY22 projections, others can see Starbucks’ business continue to increase over the long term despite short-term challenges. Starbucks continues to return value to shareholders by raising its dividend. Moreover, Starbucks has already overcome many challenges during tough times and performed well in the end. Therefore, analysts think Starbucks will keep doing that for years to come.

Starbucks Business Activity

Starbucks Corp. is a producer, marketer, and retailer of speciality coffee with 32,000+ stores in 83 markets. The company offers a range of exceptional products like coffee, beverages, and fresh food. Starbucks Corp is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, and currently employs 383,000 workers across the globe. The company operates through three segments: Americas including the United States, Canada, and Latin America; International including China, Japan, Asia Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa; and Channel Development. Starbuck Corp sells coffee, a variety of beverages and fresh foods through company-operated stores and licensed stores to its American and International segments. On the other hand, the Channel Development segment engages in the sale of packaged coffee, tea, and beverages to customers outside of its Company-operated and authorized stores. Moreover, the company sells different products and services under various brands such as Teavana, Seattle’s Best Coffee, Evolution Fresh, Ethos, Starbucks Reserve, and Princi.

Is Starbucks Stock Halal? Business Screening Results

Firstly, we check the business activity of Starbuck. The company’s non-Shariah-Compliant business activities comprise only 4.18% of its overall revenue. And the rest 95.82% of its revenue comes from halal segments. Since not halal and questionable business activities do not exceed 5% of its total revenue, Starbucks successfully passes the first screening criterion.

Financial Screening Results

Secondly, we conduct a financial screening analysis. Of course, we screen the company’s interest-bearing debt ratio. The interest-bearing debt should not exceed 30% of the company’s market capitalization. In Starbucks’ case, the percentage of interest-bearing debt is 14.71% of its market capitalization. So, we can conclude that it meets the criteria.

Total Debt$16.02B
36 Month Average Market Capitalization$108.89B

Finally, we need to screen for interest-bearing securities. Starbucks’s cash and interest-bearing securities account for 3.93% of its market capitalization, and the total amount of securities that earn interest should not exceed 30% of its market capitalization. 

Cash and Interest-Bearing Securities$4.28B
Market36 Month Average Market Capitalization Cap$108.89B

In conclusion, Starbucks successfully passes all business and financial screenings. Therefore, the status of Starbucks is Halal on our platform.  

To read more about Islamic Finance related topics, please click here and visit our academy.

Besides, feel free to sign up for our free stock screening services at